[B.A.T.M.A.N.] ICMP6 flood or nodes limit ?

Marek Lindner mareklindner at neomailbox.ch
Sun Jul 29 17:38:53 CEST 2018

On Thursday, 26 July 2018 14:14:14 HKT Nicu Pavel wrote:
> I'm also not sure about the originators list, if you look at the
> attached file, all originators TQ is pretty low and also each
> originator has all other hosts as NextHop. Not sure if this is correct
> or can affect.
> All these 30 hosts are pretty close to one another.

It might be (as Linus has suggested) related to poor connectivity / airtime
overcrowding. Though for that to be the case, I'd expect a more gradual packet
loss symptoms - not a complete collapse when you switch from 31 to 32 devices.

> > If you check the mailing list archives you will see the wifi driver issue
> > coming up on a regular basis. This example discussion is merely a few days
> > old:
> >
> > https://lists.open-mesh.org/pipermail/b.a.t.m.a.n/2018-July/017952.html
>
> Yes, I found that thread, but problem is quite different as with
> RealTek chipsets seems like nothing really works.

My point was rather to consider that the WiFi driver has its fingers in the
pot too. It is somewhat unlikely that your issues are exactly the same as
mentioned in this randomly selected thread.

By the way, searching for 'brcmfmac adhoc' returns quite a number of hits
mentioning complaints concerning Rasberry PIs. Have you tried running your
setup without enabling batman-adv at all ? Since all of the devices are so
close to each other batman-adv is not needed. Pure adhoc mode will work just
fine. This test will help you figuring out whether the ICMPv6 misbehavior is
related to batman-adv or not.

Cheers,