[B.A.T.M.A.N.] What is link throughput used for?

dan dandenson at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 21:31:16 CEST 2018

I'm not finding a document describing how link throughput is used in
routing decisions but I see in 2016.1 setting this value (and the
default of learning it) are described:

Throughput override
Available since: batman-adv 2016.1

Defines the throughput value to be used by B.A.T.M.A.N. V when
estimating the link throughput for all neighbors connected to this
interface. If the value is set to 0 then batman-adv will try to
estimate the throughput by itself by either querying the WiFi driver
or the Ethernet interface. B.A.T.M.A.N. IV ignores the setting
entirely.

cat /sys/class/net/eth0/batman_adv/throughput_override
0.0 MBit

How is this used?  Where's the documentation?

Thanks.