[B.A.T.M.A.N.] any throughput mechanism or plans?

Antonio Quartulli ordex at autistici.org
Sat Mar 31 22:43:23 CEST 2012

On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 04:22:06 -0600, dan wrote:
> I can't see anything in my reading on this.
>
> Is there a mechanism to identify throughput between two nodes? or
> between a client and a destination for the purpose of routing through
> the highest throughput path?
>
> For instance, track the maximum throughput on each interface over
> time. Compare it to the current throughput on the interface and send
> what is leftover as 'available throughput' with the TQ each node.  Now
> instead of adding up the numbers as with TQ, just take the min.  Take
> the lowest throughput along the path and have a node be able to
> utilize the highest throughput path that has acceptable TQ.  As a
> node's interface gets loaded up (vs observed maximum) it will inform
> it's neighbors in the same way it informs them of the TQ of each
> interface and then the neighbors can choose to route around if there
> is a good alternate path.
>
> Basically, I'm thinking that TQ isn't the only or most optimal way to
> route simply because available throughput should be considered
> somehow.  As far as I can tell, a 56k link with .001% packet loss is
> better than a 54Mb link with .1% packet loss, though both are solid
> interfaces and the 54Mb link should be prefered heavily over the 56k
> link.  The 56k link probably will start dropping packets once it is
> saturated, but one client might run up against slow ACKs keeping the
> remote server from sending enough data to saturate the connection so
> the client could be getting a very slow connection while a 54Mb link
> sits virtually unused.

Hello Dan,

there is not such mechanism in batman-adv right now. It is a really good idea
and we already started to think about that during WBMv5. Personally, I'm
applying to the GSOC2012 and I'm proposing something similar.

I also think that packet loss is not the correct way to go.

Regarding your idea, how would you measure the maximum throughput?

Cheers,

--
Antonio Quartulli

..each of us alone is worth nothing..