[B.A.T.M.A.N.] routing loops on interconnected routers / adhoc + ethernet

Nicolás Echániz nicoechaniz at codigosur.org
Sat Mar 3 09:16:15 CET 2012

On 03/03/2012 04:53 AM, Marek Lindner wrote:
> On Saturday, March 03, 2012 15:39:09 Nicolás Echániz wrote:
>> this happens with the nodes configured according to:
>> http://www.open-mesh.org/wiki/batman-adv/Bridge-loop-avoidance
>>
>> or so we understand!
>
> If the ethernet is used for mesh purposes uniquely why do you bother running
> the bridge loop avoidance at all instead of adding the ethernet interface as a
> regular batman interface ? The only reason why you would want the bridge loop
> avoidance is when you have ethernet clients that are bridged into the mesh.
> This does not seem to be the case. As far as I understand the ethernet cable
> is used as reliable "wireless cable".

Maerk thanks for your fast reply. In fact, that's how we started, that's
what I meant by:

"We have also tried adding eth0 to bat0 and take it out of br-lan, which
also "works" but gives routing loops from time to time."

but my english sometimes fails me :)

we also had routing loops with that setup and that's where we started to
look at loop avoidance docs.

I haven't saved traceroutes from that moment; I've actually turned off
the wlan0 on the MR now, but I can turn it back on and add eth0 as a
batman interface to reproduce it.
Is this a known issue or should this not happen in a setup where both
interfaces are added to batman?