[B.A.T.M.A.N.] lxc and batman

Sven Eckelmann sven at narfation.org
Thu Sep 15 16:17:19 CEST 2011

On Thursday 15 September 2011 08:40:15 clownix at clownix.net wrote:
> So, for the multiplication of machines in a big network, you confirm that
> batman-adv is not compatible with lxc.

I never said that it is not compatible with lxc

> However something is still not clear: with one batman-adv per namespace,
> would it be possible to have what you have with kvm but with lxc?

No, this is not possible by definition. kvm == multiple batman-adv instances,
batman-adv in lxc == one instance with interfaces in different namespaces.

> The gain for this work would be only performance, the useful scenario
> being no other than what you have with kvm: big (independant) networks.

No, by definition those networks aren't independent as they share resources
inside batman-adv (and many other resources).

As far as I understand: You want to create batman-adv interfaces in different
namespaces without having colliding names. Feel free to submit patches for it
(or enthuse some developers with spare time).

But I am still waiting for an actual usage scenario. KVM is mostly used for
debugging purposes... something were we want to have separate instances which
don't crash the developer machine. And I don't see the reason for having the
overhead of batman-adv in all namespaces instead of a single entry/exit point.

Kind regards,
	Sven