[B.A.T.M.A.N.] real-time link monitor (was: updated README)

Marek Lindner lindner_marek at yahoo.de
Tue May 4 03:59:43 CEST 2010

Hi,

>    I *DO* have it running on a pair of Meraki minis with villagetelco
> software. Seems to work *VERY* well.

glad to hear that !

>    I always seem to be looking for a real-time quality monitor so I can
> adjust antennas, check range, watch radios change by themselves, etc.
> i.e.- A real-time chart recorder widget. Thus my suggestion.

You are not the first one with such a feature request but let me point out that
batman is not the right tool for the job. If you want to finetune antennas
batman is way too slow and imprecise, since all it does is measuring packet
loss within a certain time frame. Deriving antenna directions from that is
more magic than real sience.

I'd rather suggest a tool like "horst" (Highly Optimized Radio Scanning Tool -
http://br1.einfach.org/tech/horst/) which hooks into your wifi driver to
retrieve real-time data about the link quality to your neighbors. Of course,
such a tool is highly dependend on the wifi driver and probably does not
support all the drivers in the world but I'm sure it can be extended.