[B.A.T.M.A.N.] sysfs compat

Andrew Lunn andrew at lunn.ch
Mon May 3 10:03:01 CEST 2010

> At some point we have to start thinking about how many versions we
> want to support. Each new kernel brings more changes which need to
> be dealt with.  Right now, the required effort is still at a
> sustainable level but the gap is growing. On one hand it is a nice
> playground to expand our knowledge about macros and demonstrate what
> nasty things you can do (see the second patch as an example).  ;-)
> On the other hand it always requires a serious amount of time and
> effort. It only makes sense if at least some people are using
> it. Opinions ?

I guess the problem here is devices which cannot use modern kernels.

Why can a device not use a modern kernel?

1) Binary only drivers which work only for a specific kernel. I guess
   the biggest problem here is broadcom devices? What is the current
   state here? How good is the native linux broadcom driver? Are there
   other chipsets without an open driver?

2) The need to use a vendor kernel since the mainline kernel does not
   have the necessary support. How big a problem is this?

What other reasons are there not to use a modern kernel?

   Andrew