[B.A.T.M.A.N.] BATMAN routing

Antonio Quartulli ordex at ritirata.org
Thu Dec 2 13:02:10 CET 2010

Hi all*,

On gio, dic 02, 2010 at 11:27:52 +0100, Linus Lüssing wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> thanks for having joined the IRC channel, Hlabishi and Chris, that's
> really speeding the discussions up a lot, I guess :). Just wanted
> to throw in another idea open for discussions which is refering to
> Hlabisihi's packet count weighting.
>
> What do you guys think about pushing this concept even one step
> further and removing the local packet count window? And instead
> using a "smoother" exponential weighted average which got very
> popular in TCP for it's RTT estimations:
>
> RQ_new = f(newseqno, lastseqno, RQ_old, α)
>        = (1-α) * RQ_old + α * 1 / Δ(newseqno, lastseqno)
>
> As in TCP, α is then the parameter for tweaking on how much
> more priority a newer packet shall have and is chosen between 0
> (conservative) and 1 (opportunistic).
>
> What do you think?

IMHO this is not the best solution. Probably it could better than the
actual strategy, but, as TCP demonstrates, this is not a really nice way
of evaluating the RQ.

Imho, since we have more and more information than
TCP for evaluating the new RQ, we could try to make a better choice
considering "more values": instead of using only the deltaSEQ and the
oldRQ, we could try to apply a function that can weight also the previous
history of the link (of course with a limit).
Something like

newRQ = f(window[0], ...., window[N-1]) in which, each OGM (received or
not) can be weighted in a different way depending on its position.

I hope I've been clear.

furland is probably working on this aspect.

Bye!

--
Antonio Quartulli

Ognuno di noi, da solo, non vale nulla