[B.A.T.M.A.N.] WiMAX

Simon Wunderlich simon.wunderlich at s2003.tu-chemnitz.de
Thu Feb 12 20:05:11 UTC 2009

Hello Tim,

unfortunately i have no experience with WiMAX, but as far as i know:

 * WiMAX is not license-free like WiFi (means you need to BUY a license,
   at least in germany)
 * where is the technical advantage of WiMAX over WiFi?
   Sure, the advertisements say "50 km or 108 MBit/s", but they don't say
   "both at the same time".
   You can reach this with WiFi as well (with the right antennas and setup).

So my question is: Where do you see the advantages in WiMAX over WiFi?

I don't know if there is some mesh technology available (as in
implemented) for WiMAX (as far as i know 802.16d?) or if there are
adhoc-like modes available to let routing protocols like BATMAN work.

If you know more about WiMAX meshing i'd be very interested to hear. :)

best regards
	Simon