[B.A.T.M.A.N.] Stable adapters for Ad Hoc networks

elektra onelektra at gmx.net
Sun Feb 8 11:47:50 UTC 2009

Hi -

some EEE PC models use a Atheros mPCI wireless card (the 701 for example) but
my 901 was shipped with a Ralink rt2870 (802.11 abgn) that I replaced with an
Atheros abg card ASAP...

Actually I'm using Ahdemo mode in my EEE-PC which works nicely together with
other devices with 'normal' IBSS-mode but fixed IBSS-ID - in our local mesh
we use Madwifi with OpenWRT patches and Broadcom-based devices (WRT54G/GL/GS,
Asus WL500GP) with OpenWRT Whiterussian and Broadcom proprietary driver with
fixed IBSS-ID hack (Freifunk Firmware).

Rate adaption with the Ministrel algorithm works well in Ahdemo mode - and you
have the possibility to set up a AP VAP on the same interface, too.

Performance is fine. That may be different if you run a Ahdemo-only network in
range with other wireless networks - they won't detect collisions, hence
performance can suffer.

Cheers,
elektra