[B.A.T.M.A.N.] Stable adapters for Ad Hoc networks

elektra onelektra at gmx.net
Sat Feb 7 21:38:50 UTC 2009

Hi -

I'm waiting for working drivers (particularly USB)  for IBSS mode for long
time and was putting my hope on Ralink RT73 as well.

The situation is improving with the mac80211 driver development in the Linux
kernel. Recently patches went into compat-wireless that allow to fix the
IBSSID with the

iwconfig  <interface> ap <cell-id>

command - with some drivers, not all.

However the situation is a little more complex than just fixing the IBSSID,
because the drivers/firmware have to be convinced not to perform a IBSS-merge
every time the TSF timestamp in a received beacon is a little older.  Upon a
merge the cards may flush  their MAC table - this could happen every few
miliseconds - like I have observed with Intel ipw4965 driver. Also TSF clock
skews can cause race conditions.

So far ath5k and ath9k seem to work - but the only driver I can really
recommend is Madwifi with all patches from Openwrt -  vanilla Madwifi is
*not* working. The patched Madwifi in Openwrt Kamikaze works perfectly (I'm
using mesh with Batman exclusively every day and I can  suspend/resume my
EEE-PC for weeks and I'm always online ;-)

But Madwifi does not support USB...

Best bet for USB is Zydas, I guess.

cu elektra