[B.A.T.M.A.N.] Stable adapters for Ad Hoc networks

Breno Jacinto breno at freeunix.com.br
Wed Feb 4 18:03:35 UTC 2009

Hello everyone,

  I`m running several experiments involving ad hoc networks. I`ve
selected some well known-to-be-compatible adapters, such as Edimax
(Ralink shipset), Alfa networks (Realtek) and Atheros (madwifi).
Atheros is available only as built-in adapter on the equipement or as
a  PCI board.

  So, I'm experiencing some instability regarding the selection of
the BSSID used by all the nodes. I start the network with a single
node, then another, then another. Now, for a couple of minutes it
works, bu then some nodes start losing sight of each and changing
their BSSIDs to a different value (and they should always use the
same). I'm really running out of
explanations of why this is happening, because these nodes are all
in-range of each other, and should be "pingable" directly. My main
suspect is the driver instability, but then I dont know of any other
better alternatives. I've tested the following USB adapters:

- Edimax EW-7318USg (rt73 drivers)
- Alfa AWUS036H-11g

  And the builtin adapters:

- Atheros chipset AR5007EG