[B.A.T.M.A.N.] Getting batman into staging

Greg KH gregkh at suse.de
Wed Aug 26 21:11:45 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 08:25:48PM +0200, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> Hi Greg
>
> CC: to the batman list should now work for you. Your email address has
> been listed as O.K. to accept. There is an ongoing discussion about an
> open list and fighting SPAM etc.

Heh, that's normal.  I run a few open lists, and it's not that hard.

> > But first off, what is keeping this code from being added to the "main"
> > portion of the kernel tree?  Have you submitted it for inclusion there
> > already?  If so, what was the response?  If not, why not?
>
> I'm reasonably new to the project so don't know the history too
> well. I get the impression the code has not been sent to lkml or
> linux-net list. There seems to be a perception within the developers
> that getting code into mainline is difficult, so why bother when it
> has been going O.K. out of mainline. I think you saying it could go
> into staging right now has taken quite a few people by surprise.

That's what staging is for!

> Is staging the right way to do this? Is posting to say linux-net
> better for this sort of code?

staging gets pulled into linux-next automatically.  linux-next is only
for what is going to be in the "next" kernel release (2.6.32 for right
now).  So, you would have to have the code up to mergable standards, and
approved by the network maintainers before it could go into linux-next
on its own.

> > Sound good?  If so, send me some patches!
>
> Assuming we do go via staging, do you want one jumbo patch, 6500 lines
> of code, or should i break it up into smaller chunks?

6500 lines is nothing :)

Whatever you feel is a "logical" chunk would be good to have.

thanks,

greg k-h