[B.A.T.M.A.N.] dublicate HNAs / certificates

Axel Neumann neumann at cgws.de
Fri Dec 19 10:15:20 UTC 2008

HI,

I like brainstorming like this.
We wanted batmand (and especially its core routing algorithm) to be decentral
and simple. So no central point of control/failure and therefore also no HNA
server. Of course there are many potential attack vectors in a community mesh
and probably there will always be until you completely restrict the access.
Therefore IMHO the preferable security to be solved should be:

- detect and protect against (usually accidental) misconfigurations like
duplicate addresses.

- find mechanisms to limit the impact of denial of service or other attacks to
the local environment (neighborhood).

Certificates and signatures might be a theoretical solution. I am not a
security expert but many people have stated that frequent signature
validation (like every OGM) will definitely exceed the cpu performance of the
small embedded devices we use for our networks.

On Donnerstag 18 Dezember 2008, Stephan Enderlein (Freifunk Dresden) wrote:
> > Theoretically, if the node can reestablish a new connection after its
> > forced disconnection within the dad timeout (100secs by default) then it
> > should not be kicked out. But, the preliminary for this is that: the node
> > must re-appear using the same primary IP for its primary interface and
> > continuing with the foreseen sequence-number range.
>
> The router always will have the same IP. But it can take a little time to
> establish the vpn connection (over internet) to connect to other batman
> clouds. So it is possible that the 100 seconds are reached easily.
> At moment the firmware has no way to set the time of the forced
> disconnection. But If the user are using a different router or the firmware
> will later support a timed disconnection, it is possible that user leave
> the default time. Assuming this other may connect there disturbing routers
> at same time to turn off attractive nodes with many connections.
You can tweak the dulicate address timeout detection using --dad-timeout .

Because the duplicate address detection is working based on expected sequence
numbers you can avoid being ignored by other nodes after a restart by
correcting your initial sequence number to a number accepted by other nodes
using --initial-seqno.

ciao,
axel