[B.A.T.M.A.N.] Can't build a mesh network

elektra onelektra at gmx.net
Wed Dec 17 17:46:50 UTC 2008

Hi -

sure, we have. Ad-Hoc mode of 802.11 is broken by design. Keywords: IBSS
merges and time stamps in beacons. There are some hacks which work
exclusively for the Madwifi driver with the patches of a recent Openwrt
Kamikaze developer version. You can use the ad-hoc demo mode or 'real' IBSS
mode with the option "nosbeacon" when creating the VAP with

"wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode adhoc nosbeacon"

This is the only option for a PC at the moment. Works rock solid even in the
Berlin Freifunk mesh with ~500 ad-hoc interfaces where MAC timestamps
permanently jump back and forth.

Closed source binary driver for Linux 2.4 for Broadcom also works - mostly,
there have been reports about issues in conjuction with patched Madwifi
versions (software generated timestamps are not precise enough and can
confuse the Broadcom driver) These issues can be avoided by using ah-demo
mode where you fix the IBSS-ID.

Cheers,
elektra