[B.A.T.M.A.N.] dynamic gateway / hna / services

Marek Lindner lindner_marek at yahoo.de
Fri Jul 27 16:40:31 UTC 2007

Am Freitag, 27. Juli 2007 18:03 schrieb Aaron Kaplan:
> I don't feel personally attacked at all :)

But the unknown reader might get that impression ...

> I just again and again get the feeling from batman people that sort
> of "everything else sucks"
> Like academia sucks, olsr sucks etc etc.
> But that is a bit contra-productive. That is what I wanted to point out.

Where does this feeling come from ?

Because of "better approach to mobile ad-hoc networking" (you said: "since it
is already in the name") ?! Do you have in mind what OLSR means ? OPTIMIZED
Link State routing - that means OLSR is the first link state routing protocol
which optimizes ?!

GNU = Gnu is Not Unix => is Unix bad ?
KDE => Kool Desktop Environment => the others are not cool ?
VIM => Vi IMproved => vi seems to be bad ?!

We could continue this list a very long time.

Or is it because we always compare with OLSR ?
Don't forget that OLSR is the de-facto standard for routing protocols. So, we
compare against something the people know. Have you ever listened to a SVN
talk ? They compare to CVS. What is so bad about showing real problems in
existing solutions and offering something better ?

Please remember - OLSR is so good and well known because we helped it quite a
lot. Much of the intial testing was done in Berlin. Afterwards we disabled
MPR and Hysteris, developed ETX and Fisheye. It is not your child only. It
was not easy for us to find out that we have to restart from scratch if we
really want to solve the problems OLSR has.
We learned a lot from it and now we move on.

> nono... redo everything is like asking for a bit to much. Agreed. But
> step by step...

I meant they want us to clone the way OLSR solves certain problems and we
don't want that. It may need some time and effort but we want to attack the
real source of the problems.