[B.A.T.M.A.N.] dynamic gateway / hna / services

Marek Lindner lindner_marek at yahoo.de
Fri Jul 27 15:31:27 UTC 2007

Hi,

> it's about the gateway himself (not a client-of-the-gateway).
> A gateway router (has to/)should check his default route and change
> his role to 'ordinary-client' => switch working state from -g to
> -r/-p Mode. May think about NATed LAN-clients, too...

this is quite difficult to implement. The dyngw plugin tries to do exactly the
same thing. Various approaches were already tested and they all had their
problems. How do you want to find out whether internet is available or not ?
Ping, traceroute or dns ? As far as I remember we always had situations where
this detection failed.
The latest example: Run OLSR with the dyngw plugin on a batman host which is
searching for internet (-r). The plugin will find out that internet is
available via batman and happily announces a default route in the OLSR
network ...

I think the difficult part are the endless scenarios we would have to cover.
But if someone has a good idea I certainly will implement it.  :-)