[B.A.T.M.A.N.] dynamic gateway / hna / services

Marek Lindner lindner_marek at yahoo.de
Fri Jul 27 14:07:24 UTC 2007

Hi,

this question was a bit forgotten.  :-)

> how does batmand detect whether the internet connection is really connected
> to the internet or not. Or does batmand just relays on the -g parameter.
> Until now we let run a cron job that checks for the real working
> gateway. Because we can not relay on the presence of the default
> route. User may use a different
> router to connect to the internet and just add the default route this
> private router.
> The problem is that the node offering a internet connection (-g)
> should also be able to access other internet connection if its local
> connection is brocken.

First of all, "-g" is just flooded through the network. We also want some kind
of "dyngw"-plugin but with a better approach: By using tunnels to the gateway
batman is in a far better situation than OLSR. The "is internet really
available" check can be done on the client side and is therefore much more
reliable. With batman 0.3 all the packet flow towards and from the internet
is going through batman. Batman just has to check whether traffic is coming
back through the tunnel after sending packets to the internet. If this is not
the case the batman node offering the internet is blacklisted and another
gateway is chosen.
This has not been implemented yet but all the neccessary basics for that
feature are completed by now. Expect this feature to come in the following
weeks.