[B.A.T.M.A.N.] TTL-Interface specific

Marek Lindner lindner_marek at yahoo.de
Fri Jul 20 20:56:27 UTC 2007

Hi,

> Questions 2:
>   batman on mipsel runs in three instances independed of number of
> interfaces listen. on i386 only one instance is running (three
> interfaces). How does this work?

the words "instances" means threads. I guess you found that word on the batman
freifunk gui ?! It is a bit misleading.
Batman is a threaded application. Several tasks are done by different threads.
OpenWRT (Whiterussian) has no good thread implementation - so called
LinuxThreads. They emulate thread behaviour via processes. Thats why you see
so many.
However, this library is deprecated and a newer (NPTL) is in widely use today
but requires Linux Kernel 2.6. This is a real thread implementation where you
have only one process. I guess that you use this lib on your i386 ?!