[B.A.T.M.A.N.] originator timeout

Axel Neumann axel at open-mesh.net
Tue Jul 10 09:10:37 UTC 2007

Hello,

Before a batman configures a host route towards another node (and
batmand -c -d 1 -b should tell you about all succesfull configured routes) it
must learn about the existence of the other node via a bidirectional link.
Thus actually two things are checked:
1. the link (via which it received a message from the new node) must be
bidirectional.
2. Receive an originator message from the new node (OGM).

In your case the node 6.17.190.172 (A) has not yet confirmed the first issue.
It received an OGM from node 6.17.0.1 (B) but not via a validated
bidirectional link (not yet).
In order to consider a link bidirectional, node A checks if it has
successfully received one of its self-initiated OGMs back from node B.
I suppose this has not happened so fare but (if the link between A and B is
bidirectionsl) should happen within the next seconds. The line:
> ath0 Orginator timeout: originator 6.17.0.1, last_valid 0
which you are concerned about indicates exactly this fact. Recevied messages
from another node are only valid if (besides other checks) they have been
received via a bidirectional link. This one was not so its not valid.
Otherwise last_valid should indicate the timestamp of the last validly
recevied OGM from node B.
Another line:
> Forward packet: rebroadcast neighbour packet with direct link and
> unidirectional flag
Indicates that node A rebroadcasts node Bs OGM anyway but with the
unidirectional flag (UDF) set which tells all other neighbors except node B
to ignore the message. Just node B now has the possibility to consider node A
as a bidirectional neighbor because node A has successfully rebroadcasted its
own OGM. Does that make sense?

ciao,
axel